You are hereFrequently Asked Questions about Commencement Week

Frequently Asked Questions about Commencement Week

1. How do I get added to the Social Senior Class List to receive information about Senior Spring?

Please fill out this survey to be added to the Social Senior Class List.

2. How do I know if I can walk at commencement?

If you want to walk at Commencement but are unsure of your senior standing, please contact your House Office (listed above) or contact The Registrar directly. The HAA does not handle this situation!

3. Where/When do I eat during Senior Week?

Adams, Currier and Leverett House will be open for:

  • Lunch from Monday 5/17 – Saturday 5/22: 12:00 noon – 2:15 p.m.
  • Dinner Monday 5/17, Tuesday 5/18, Wednesday 5/19, Friday 5/21, and Saturday 5/22: 5:00 p.m.- 7:15 p.m. (Dinner will be served at the Quad Luau on Thursday 5/20)
  • All Houses are closed after dinner on Saturday, May 22.

4. Are there special arrangements for persons with disabilities?

Yes. There is a reserved and accessible seating section available for persons with disabilities in Tercentenary Theatre on Commencement Day. To make requests for accessible ticket reservations, wheelchairs, etc and/or have questions answered regarding any available services for all Commencement week activities, graduating students need to contact Marie Trottier, University Disability Coordinator, Holyoke Center, Room 941 by preferably emailing to: or calling 617-495-1859(v) / 617-495-4801(TTY). Seating in this section is by confirmed reservation and ticket only. The deadline for making a request is April 30, 2010, however, it is recommended that you email or call prior to the deadline, as soon as you know that guests need these services.

The University Disability Coordinator is responsible for all central services as they relate to accessibility for events throughout Commencement Week. Each decision is made on a case by case basis, and only this office can authorize any of these services. If you have any questions or concerns - please contact Ms. Trottier's office as soon as possible. Individuals with disabilities are encouraged to arrive early, on Commencement Day, to avoid some of the crowding that usually takes place after 8:30am. Gates open this year at 6:45am. Accommodations and services from this office are available to graduates, their relatives, and guests. First-aid stations and wheelchair accessible restrooms will be located in Sever, Weld, and Thayer Halls on Commencement Day.

5. Is there parking available during Commencement Week?

Free parking is available at the athletic area in Allston.

6. At what functions are cap and gown required?

Cap and gown are required for the Baccalaureate on Tuesday, May 25th, and the Commencement Morning Exercises, Thursday May 27th. Any senior not in academic dress for Commencement will need a “Candidate Ticket” to enter the Yard and these will be available only from your House Master on Commencement morning. Cap and gown rentals will be available May 20th to May 27th, in the Textbook department on the third floor of the Coop on Palmer Street. Pick-up hours are 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. Monday through Saturday and Sunday 10:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. The Coop will open at 6:30 a.m. on May 27th, Commencement morning. HARVARD COLLEGE UNDERGRADUATES DO NOT HAVE TO RESERVE A CAP AND GOWN.
For more information visit The Coop and click on the Commencement Center button or call Nancie Scheirer at 617 499-2122.

7. Do family members less than 5 years old need to pay for or need tickets to events?

For the Family Dinner, no ticket needed for those under 5 years old. For the Class Day picnic and Masters Receptions, these are pre-bagged meals; so if they will need their own lunch they will need there own ticket! Class Day/Commencement Exercises: they do not need a ticket if they are able to sit on your lap.

8. How do I get a copy of the 374th Harvard College Yearbook?

Orders can be placed by going to the Harvard Yearbook and clicking on the “Order Online” link and filling out your information. If you have any questions about the yearbook, please email

9. How do I order a copy of the CLASS PICTURE?

An order form will be sent to parents in the spring, you can also pick up an order form at the time the picture is taken, and you can pick one up at 124 Mt. Auburn St., 6th floor any time. You can also contact them at: Panfoto, P.O. Box 650063, West Newton, MA 02465-0063, (781-788-9595, Fax 781-788-4999). Cost is $28.00 for the color photo, $105.00 framed plus shipping and tax (where applicable).

10. Are recordings of the Commencement Week activities available for purchase?

Yes. Broadcast-quality, five-camera recordings are made of the Class Day Exercises (afternoon) and Commencement Day Exercises (morning and afternoon) that take place in Tercentenary Theatre. The AM and PM Commencement Day programs also include commentary during the processionals. Single-camera recordings are made of the diploma ceremonies at all of the Houses and several of the graduate schools. These recordings are available as DVDs or VHS videotapes. For more information related to the videos, call Commencement Video (617-884-6000); for audio only, call the Media Production Center (617-495-9440).

11. When must seniors vacate their rooms?

All seniors must be out by 5:00 PM on Friday, May 28th. No exceptions!