The 2018 Harvard Open
>>Registration for the 2018 Harvard Open is now live!<<
See the official flyer here.
Harvard Chess Club, Boylston Chess Club, Future Masters Chess Academy, and Harvard Currier House present the 1st Annual Harvard Open on September 15 at the beautiful SOCH in Harvard’s Radcliffe Quadrangle. The one-day tournament will feature the top chess players in Massachusetts battling it out across four rounds of G/45 for their share of a $750 guaranteed prize fund. In addition, there will be a grandmaster simul in the morning and game analysis throughout the day for players of all levels. Register today for a day full of chess on Harvard’s historic campus! Register today at the Boylston Chess Club website.
Four-round USCF-Rated Swiss tournament
Time Control: G/45 d5
Four sections: Open, U2000, U1400, U800
Open Prizes: $300 - $150 - $100
U2000 Prizes: $75 - $50
U1400 Prizes: $50 - $25
U800 Prizes: Books to top two players
Entry Fee: $25, $35 on-site
Schedule: Rounds 1-4 10:30 AM, 1:00 PM, 3:00 PM, 5:00 PM.
Simultaneous Exhibition with GM Darwin Yang at 9 AM.
Game Review & Analysis with experienced players all day long.
VENUE: THE HARVARD SOCH
PARKING & DIRECTIONS
We recommend that you avoid driving, as parking is limited around the Harvard Radcliffe Quadrangle area. Instead, taking the Boston Red Line T to the Harvard Square stop is a convenient alternative. From there, an 11-min walk will get you 0.6 miles from the station to the SOCH. Please make sure to map your route in advance to arrive on time!
SIMUL WITH INTERNATIONAL GRANDMASTER DARWIN YANG
Sign up to play International Grandmaster Darwin Yang on the morning of the official tournament. Darwin is a current student at Harvard as well as Harvard's top player, with a USCF rating of 2575. The simul will start at 9:00 AM and all games will be stopped before 10:30. Participation in the official tournament is not required to play in the simul. The simul is free of charge.
>>Sign-ups are now live<<
Sign-ups will be capped and will be on a first-come, first-serve basis. Please ensure that you can make it if you sign up for the simul. We will send out a confirmation email for the simul a few days before the tournament. Those on waitlists will be kept up-to-date accordingly!
- Near Harvard Square: click here. Keep in mind that these options are near the Square, about an 11-minute walk from the Harvard SOCH.
- Pizza will be available for sale for all players after the first round. Snacks will also be available for sale throughout the tournament.
THINGS TO REMEMBER
- You must be a registered USCF Member to participate. Please ensure your USCF membership is up-to-date and contact email@example.com if you have any questions.
- Be on time! Get to the playing venue in advance. We will be starting the first round at 10:30 AM sharp.
- Half-point byes are to be declared before round 1; 0-point bye in the last round.
- Please bring boards and sets, if possible.
HARVARD CHESS CLUB WOULD LIKE TO THANK THE FOLLOWING PARTNERS
Please contact Bryan at firstname.lastname@example.org with all questions and comments.