Harvard Organ Society
hcs.harvard.edu/organ home | contact us  
 





Flentrop Organ, Busch Hall

E. Power Biggs was without a doubt one of the most famous concert organists of his day; his recordings are still widely available. Many of those recordings were made right here, on this very organ.

Born in England in 1906, Biggs emigrated to the United States in 1930, and settled in Cambridge in 1932. By that time he had already begun to build a name for himself as a touring concert organist.

In 1937, Biggs persuaded Charles Kuhn, then Curator of the Busch-Reisinger Museum, to let the Aeolian-Skinner Organ Company of Boston install their experimental Baroque-style organ, designed by the famous G. Donald Harrison (another Englishman) in the Romanesque Hall, which many people had already realised would make an ideal location for a concert organ. This instrument caused quite a stir in the musical world; Biggs played the complete organ works of Bach on it in 1937/38. In 1940 he began a famous series of Sunday morning coast-to-coast broadcasts on CBS radio from here that for many people of that generation was their introduction to organ music.

In 1954 Biggs made a tour of Europe, playing on many historic organs. This confirmed his growing dissatisfaction with the G. Donald Harrison instrument, and he conceived the notion of commissioning a new instrument for the hall from Flentrop, a Dutch builder whose instruments were known for their inspired re-interpretation of the Baroque models. In 1957 the instrument arrived; in 1958 CBS canceled the weekly broadcasts! Biggs, undaunted, immediately began an ambitious series of recordings for CBS records, which ultimately included three volumes of Bach favourites (including the D minor Toccata and Fugue) and much other music both solo and with other instruments. For many organists these records were their introduction to a new kind of playing, informed by historical scholarship, that came as a revelation. Biggs continued to play recitals and record on this instrument up to his death in 1977.

The instrument is in classic "Werk-prinzip" formation, that is to say, each division is clearly delineated architecturally. The Great manual (Hoofdwerk) is in the middle on top, with the Brustwerk underneath. The big pedal pipes are in towers on either side, and the Rückpositiv (which in England used to be called the "Chaire" organ) is on the front of the gallery, behind the organist's seat. The stops are all those which Bach would have known, and the connection between keys and pipes is entirely mechanical ("Tracker")—unlike the G. Donald Harrison instrument, which had electric action. The pipes, voiced on low wind pressure and placed on the historic form of slider chests, have a gentle, alive quality of sound, and the open-toe, unnicked voicing gives an articulate quality. This instrument was among the first examples (and for many years by far the most prominent) of the "Baroque" or historical organ revival; Flentrop subsequently installed many other instruments throughout the United States. This organ therefore had and continues to have a profound effect on organ building and organ playing throughout this country.

Specification:

Hoofdwerk

Presant 8
Roerfluit 8
Octaaf 4
Speelfluit 4
Nasard 2 2/3
Valkfluit 2
Terts 1 3/5
Mixtuur IV

Rugpositief

Holpijp 8
Prestant 4
Roerfluit 4
Gemshoorn 2
Quint 1 1/3
Mixtuur II
Kromhoorni 8

Borstwerk

Zingend Gedekt 8
Koppelfluit 4
Prestant 2
Sifflet 1
Regaal 8

Pedaal

Bourdon 16
Prestant 8
Gedekt 8
Fluit 4
Mixtuur III
Faggot 16
Trompet 8


Couplers: I-P, II-P, III-P, II-I, III-II


For more information on the Flentrop organ, please click here.




Formerly: the Fisk Organ

Until recently in 2010, Harvard had a Fisk organ located in Appleton Chapel. This was the Isham Memorial Organ, built in 1967 by Charles B. Fisk of Gloucester, Massachusetts, a Harvard physicist who founded one of the most respected organ building companies in the country today. Installed under the supervision of John R. Ferris, fifth University Organist and Choirmaster, the instrument has four manuals (or keyboards) and forty-nine stops; the key action is mechanical and the stop action electric. The ornate case is adorned with gilded wooden carvings, each relating in some way to the sea, created by Rockport, Massachusetts, artist Roger Martin.

At the time of its installation this was the largest tracker organ ever built in the United States. Organ aficionados will be interested in comparing it to the Flentrop built ten years earlier in Adolphus Busch Hall. E. Power Biggs, the designer of that organ, was a member of the committee that selected the organ for The Memorial Church. The Isham organ replaced the original large instrument designed in 1932 by G. Donald Harrison of the Aeolian-Skinner Company of Boston, and given in memory of Albert Keep Isham of the Class of 1915.

Specification:

GREAT
(Manual II)

Bourdon 16’ (wood)
Prestants 8’
Spitzflute 8’
Octave 4’
Chimney Flute 4’
Nazard 2.2/3’
Fifteenth 2’
Tierce 1.3/5
Cornet II-V
Mixture V-IX
Double Trumpet 16’
Trumpet 8’
Clarion 4’

POSITIVE
(Manual III)

Violin Diapason 8’
Chimney Flute 8’
Italian Principal 4’
Nazard 2.2/3’
Doublet 2’
Quarte de Nazard 2’
Tierce 1.3/5’
Mixture IV
Cymbal III
Cremona 8’
English Horn 8’

PEDAL

Prestant 16’
Bourdon 16’ (wood)
Octave 8’
Rohrpipe 8’
Superoctave 4’
Mixture V
Contrabassoon 32’ (wooden shallots)
Trombone 16’ (wooden shallots)
Trumpet 8’
Clarion 4’

CHOIR
(Manual I)

Stopped Diapason 8’ (wood)
Prestant 4’
Spire Flute 4’
Fifteenth 2’
Larigot 1.1/3’
Mixture II-III
Regal 8’

SWELL
(enclosed)

Spindle Flute 8’
Viola da Gamba 8’
Voix Céleste 8’
Gemshorn 4’
Night Horn 2’
Clarion Mixture V
Bassoon 16’
Trumpet 8’

COUPLERS

Great, Positive, Swell, Choir to Pedal
Positive, Swell, Choir to Great
Swell to Positive

Cymbelstern
Tremulant to the entire organ

Balanced Swell Pedal
Balanced Crescendo Pedal

COMBINATION ACTION

Solid-state combination action (65 levels)
8 pistons and cancel to General (duplicated by toe studs)
5 pistons to Great, Swell, Positive, Choir, Pedal
Reversible pistons for all pedal couplers
(Great to Pedal reversible duplicated by toe stud)

Mechanical (tracker) key action throughout
Electro-pneumatic stop action
Wind pressure: 2-3/8" except for 1-5/8" on Choir
Meidinger blower, 1.5 hp

50 stops
77 ranks

Casework: white oak
Keys: ivory naturals; ebony sharps
Front pipes: 80% tin, burnished.

For information on other Harvard organs, please click here.

The Harvard Organ Society is a student-run organization at Harvard College.
The Harvard name and VERITAS shield are trademarks of the
President and Fellows of Harvard College
and are used by permission of Harvard University.

Copyright © 2012 The President and Fellows of Harvard College
Updated by the Webmaster on Wednesday, July 18, 2012