Society of Physics Students
Meeting Minutes for January 4, 2001
Adams House Small Dining Room
1. Present: Genevieve Reynolds, Zack Subin, Craig Hetherington, John
Lee, Poom Siraprapasira, Brian White, Bryan Parno, Scott “Brian”
Worsley, Andy Cotton, Phil Zeyliger, Bill Zaientz, Dave Freeman,
Lisa Powell, Mike Develin, Tad Warshall, ben Lauderdale, Alexey
Gorschkov, Ari Behar (tardy).
1.a. Craig made Lisa proud.
2. Let it be noted that SPS had A KEG at this meeting. Those present
partook in much joy and ebullient debauchery.
3. Zack determined that the earth is “in violation of classical
4. Genevieve complained about people forgetting her name.
5. Scott, in reference to the large metal barrel (heretofore and
henceforth, the “keg”) enthroned upon the center of the table,
yelped, “Whoa! I missed that!”
6. Differences of opinion were elucidated. Genevieve: “Guinness
tastes like earwax!” Zack: “Guinness is _so_ good!”
7. Mike made Andy an offer he couldn’t refuse.
8. Lisa’s legitimacy as a Lisa was challenged. Disorder ensued,
but Lisa reasserted her Lisa-ness, to the admiration of the crowd.
9. At 6:33, her Lisa-ness Lisa called the meeting to order.
10. It was realized that Lisa was surrounded by 14 guys and a keg.
It was noted that more girls/women should come to our meetings,
in order to take advantage of the inherent hedonism of gatherings
of physics students. It was noted that MEL should take more of an
interest in our meetings.
11. OFFICIAL BUSINESS: Craig was commended for bringing the keg.
12. OFFICIAL BUSINESS: Free dinners in exchange for participation
in a forum on diversity in science and technology were announced.
Scott and Craig were nominated to represent SPS at this forum. In
keeping with the grand SPS tradition of not voting for candidates
for positions, both Scott and Craig shall attend.
13. It was noted that “the ratio” was now 1:9.
14. OFFICIAL BUSINESS: Elections for next semester and year’s SPS
officers will take place soon. If you are interested, consider
emailing the current officers. They will set you straight.
15. Gen motioned that we challenge the Canadian Club to Ultimate
Frisbee. Mike seconded.
16. It was reported that Harpaul had explored the possibility of
Math 25-vs-SPS capture-the-flag game.
17. Scott used Zack as an intermediary. Scott acknowledged that
“Craig is a bold man and he does not need an intermediary.”
20. The literal and existential meanings of Primal Scream were
discussed. It was concluded that the point is to run in front of
John Harvard with thousands of people cheering.
21. The SPS snowball fight was brought up.
22. Zack realized that he knows something about algebra. Scott
had a revelation.
23. The meeting bifurcated.
24. Raves were wistfully discussed.
25. Gen, in a trait consistent with earlier statements involving
housewifery, does know how to cook.
26. Cooking shows were endorsed. Emeril, Yan Can Cook, and The
Iron Chef received exceptional praise.