Interested in auditioning for the Radcliffe Choral Society?
“The majority of the singers in the choruses at Harvard and Radcliffe, where the heritage of choral singing is so rich, are headed for non-musical professions. So for them singing in the chorus is their ultimate musical expression. And the singing in this performance was characterized by exactly that kind of energy and utter involvement.”
–The Boston Globe
Preliminary auditions for the Holden Choruses are held at the beginning of the fall semester. Auditions are about 10 minutes each, and there is no need to prepare anything in advance, so we encourage anyone who is interested to try out!
Everyone who participates in the auditions process is invited to participate in one of the following ensembles: The Radcliffe Choral Society (RCS, a 60 voice all female chorus composed of students), the Harvard Glee Club (HGC, a 60 voice all male chorus composed of students), the Harvard-Radcliffe Collegium Musicum (HRCM, a 60 voice mixed chorus composed of students), the Harvard-Radcliffe Chorus (HRC, a 150 voice mixed chorus composed primarily of community members), or Skills for Singing (a course that allows students to develop their choral singing skills).
- THE PRELIMINARY ROUND: A Non-Specific Audition for RCS, HGC, HRCM, HRC, and Skills for Singing.Singers of all backgrounds and experience levels are encouraged to audition! The preliminary audition consists of simple scales/melodies, basic ear training exercises, and a short sight reading passage. The audition is meant to be low-stress, and there’s no need to prepare a piece! Singers will be seen in the order they arrive on the following dates/times in the basement of Memorial Hall (the basement of the the building that houses Annenberg):
- Tuesday, September 2: 6:00pm – 9:00pm
- Wednesday, September 3: 6:00pm – 9:00pm
- Thursday, September 4: 6:00pm – 9:00pm
- Sunday, September 7: 6:00pm – 9:00pm
- Monday, September 8: 6:00pm – 9:00pm
2. THE SECOND ROUND: A Specific Audition for RCS Only.
Note: It is possible that female auditionees will be invited to participate in two separate Second Round auditions, one for RCS and one for HRCM. The following information is true for RCS only.
The second round of auditions involves attending an RCS rehearsal with current RCS members. This rehearsal serves two main purposes. First, you’ll get to meet our conductors and current RCS members to experience what it would be like to be a part of RCS. Second, you’ll learn the piece of music that you will sing during your second round quartet audition. If you’d like the opportunity to review the quartet audition piece more after attending the rehearsal, there will be an optional help session led by our Associate Conductor and current RCS members. The second round culminates in singing the audition piece you learned during the rehearsal and optional help session in a quartet composed of you and three current RCS members. For example, if you are auditioning as a Soprano II, you will sing the Soprano II part while current RCS members sing the Soprano I, Alto I, and Alto II parts.
- RCS Rehearsal: Holden Chapel, date/time/TBA
- Optional Help Session: location/date/time TBA
- Quartet Audition: location/date/time TBA
We welcome any and all interested students (undergraduates and graduates alike) to audition for us! Please contact email@example.com with any questions.
Good luck, and we hope to see you at auditions!